To be admitted by Coastal Pines Technical College, applicants must satisfy one of the six academic readiness paths below:
- High school graduates must submit an official high school transcript (including graduation date) that reflects the student has met the attendance, academic, and/or assessment requirements for the state’s board of education or equivalent agency.
- Secondary schools must be accredited by an agency included on the TCSG approved accreditation agency list.
- Applicants with diplomas from secondary schools located outside the United States must have their transcripts evaluated for equivalency by an approved outside evaluation organization.
- High school Certificates of Attendance or other certificates, credentials, or documents where the student did not complete all required coursework or testing required for a high school diploma in that state are not recognized for admission purposes.
- Submission of an official transcript reflecting the student has passed an examination or the completion of a program the state recognizes as the equivalent of a high school diploma (e.g. GED, HiSET, Career Plus HSE).
- The only exception to requirements 1 or 2 is for those students seeking enrollment into an approved basic workforce certificate that does not require a high school diploma or high school equivalency for admission.
- Submission of an official transcript from each of one or more previously attended postsecondary institutions (accredited by an accepted accrediting agency) reflecting the successful completion (C or better) of a minimum of 30 semester or 45 quarter credit hours of coursework at the degree level.
- Applicants who were home schooled in the state of Georgia and did not attend a recognized accredited program must submit:
- Certificate of Attendance form from the local superintendent’s office or a Declaration of Intent to utilize a Home Study Program from the Georgia Department of Education verifying that the parent or legal guardian complied with the requirements of home study programs as referenced in O.C.G.A. § 20-2-690.
- Annual progress reports or a final transcript for the equivalent of the home-schooled student’s junior and senior years (the final progress report or transcript must include the graduation date).
- Applicants who were home schooled outside the state of Georgia and did not attend a recognized accredited program must submit:
- annual progress reports or a final transcript for the equivalent of the home-schooled student’s junior and senior years (the final progress report or transcript must include the graduation date); and
- one of the following:
- PSAT, SAT, or ACT scores that meet or exceed the TCSG system and college minimum score requirements for program readiness.
- ACCUPLACER placement scores that meet or exceed the TCSG system and college minimum score requirements for program readiness.
- Service members of the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, or Navy may submit an official copy of their DD Form 214 or other official documentation of military service indicating high school graduate or equivalent.
The President of Coastal Pines Technical College may waive the high school diploma/high school equivalency, as described above, the requirement for those pursuing a high school equivalency, as described above, who are otherwise eligible to enroll in a specific program of study.
Assessment of Program Readiness
1. Coastal Pines Technical College must evaluate students’ readiness for a degree, diploma, and certificate programs. The College may accept a student’s official entrance score on the following validated assessment instruments if the scores meet the required minimums:
- TABE 9-10 scores of 461 or higher in reading and 442 or higher in math for placement into entry-level workforce certificate programs
- TABE 11/12 scores of 501 in Reading for Levels M and D and 496 for Mathematics on Levels M and D. A score of 536 for Reading if using Level A and 537 for Mathematics if using Level A.
- Georgia Milestones Literature & Composition or Georgia Milestones American Literature & Composition (English admission requirement only)
- HOPE GPA after completion of 10th grade of 2.6 or higher
- High School GPA of 2.0 for approved Entry-Level Workforce Certificates
- GED® Math or Reading must meet the minimum passing score is used for placement into any certificate, diploma, or degree program
- Completed TCSG form documenting two years of work/career-related experience for approved Entry-Level Workforce Certificates
*A student possessing an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution shall be exempted from placement requirements.
2. Official transcripts from a regionally or nationally accredited institution approved by the United States Secretary of Education documenting equivalent program-level English and math coursework successfully completed (C or better) at other post-secondary institutions may be used to document a student's basic education skills and eliminate the need to complete that portion of the assessment instrument.
3. Subjective criteria such as, but not limited to, written or oral interviews, personality assessments, and letters of reference shall not be utilized as a part of the evaluation for program readiness or admission. All criteria should be published and applied consistently to all applicants for a program.